A great take on the classic caprese salad. This appetizer is perfect for a party, loaded with flavor that will keep you and your guests coming back for more! We’ve enjoyed them at our Co-op board meetings 🙂Ingredients:
- 2 medium zucchinis ( cut of both ends )
- 1 teaspoon olive oil ( cold-pressed )
- A pinch of sea salt
- 20 large or 40 small basil leaves
- 10 cherry tomatoes ( halved )
- 20 kalamata olives ( pitted, and halved )
- 20 toothpicks
- 1 cup Hemp-sesame ‘cheese’ See recipe below
After cutting the ends of the zucchinis use a mandoline slicer or a vegetable peeler to cut into thin strips. Brush the slices with the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Set aside until ready to use.
Prep the tomatoes, olives, and basil.
Assembly: Place zucchini slices on the flat work surface. Put one of the basil leaves along the end nearest to where you are going to roll inward. Layer with a small teaspoon of hemp-sesame cheese, half of tomato and olive. Take the end with the toppings and roll inward. Place basil & olive on top and thread a toothpick through.
Makes about 20 rolls. If you have extra cheese use save it for veggie sticks, crackers, or chips. Enjoy!
Hemp seeds lend to a very nutritious ‘cheese’ alternative. Packed with omega 3&6, and loaded with vitamins and minerals. This recipe pairs well with a simple veggie-tray, in wraps, or with vegan caprese rolls.
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds ( ground in a coffee grinder )
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds ( ground in a coffee grinder )
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
After you grind the hemp and sesame seeds in the coffee grinder ( *note do this in two parts so you don’t over heat the coffee grinder ), add into a small mixing bowl. Mix in the remainder of the ingredients, until you reach a creamy texture.
Serve now or later after it has been chilled in the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes.
Recipe by Adrianna Adams of Nourishlife.us